Re: Illustrated Guide to Installing Debian GNU/Linux

Frans Pop wrote:
IMO that means the debian-edu concept is not suitable for this document as it is not intended to be published as a separate manual. We have the Installation Guide for that.

This document is intended to remain on the Wiki as an optional reference for users and as such translations should also be done and be available as wiki pages.

With all due respect to the Debian Installer team, who produced a fabulous installation manual[1], I would like to encourage you to publish the "Illustrated Guide ..."[2] as a separate manual because the two documents serve two distinctly different audiences.

The comprehensive nature (143 pages) of the official installation manual is invaluable to anyone who has to perform a complex and/or uncommon task (such as using TFTP to boot a computer over a network from another machine).

The "Illustrated Guide" is designed to serve desktop users who are installing a GNU/Linux operating system for the first time. While the official installation manual provides a nice 3-page installation HowTo (in Appendix A), it does not cater directly to the needs of new GNU/Linux users.

By contrast, the "Illustrated Guide" is 10 pages long and is filled with screenshots (to make the new user feel comfortable). To add a touch of comprehensiveness, I also included 12 pages of appendices to introduce them to package management, help them select packages (e.g. office software, music managers, etc.) and work with an MS Windows partition.

In summary, the "Illustrated Guide" serves a different audience than the official manual does. On that basis, I hope you will consider it for inclusion as a separate manual.

Sincerely,
- Eric Doviak

[1] http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/LennyIllustratedInstall