Re: Raising minimum CPU requirement for i386 kernel

+ Bastian Blank (Sun, 24 May 2009 21:07:49 +0200):

> I would like to raise the minimum CPU requirement for the shipped Linux
> kernels in the i386 port to i686 (with cmov). For now I will not propose
> a change of the default machine type setting used by the compiler.

As Philipp Kern mentioned, you should start by explaining why you want
to do that. Maybe it's just to drop one flavour in the i386 builds, or
maybe there are maintenance headaches associated with this flavour we're
unaware of.

That said, and agreeing with what has been said by others in this thread
already, they'll have to be ver good reasons in order for such a loss to
be acceptable.

So, please do not go forward with this unless consensus has been reached.

Thanks,

--
- Are you sure we're good?
- Always.