Re: Illustrated Guide to Installing Debian GNU/Linux

Hello,

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 13:01 -0800, Praveen A wrote:
> 2009/2/18 Eric Doviak <eric@doviak.net>:
> > For people who are new to GNU/Linux and are simply trying to install Debian
> > on a home desktop, I wrote an "Illustrated Guide to Installing Debian
> > GNU/Linux."[3]
>
> Some comments,
> Now openjdk is in debian so it is better to suggest it over gcj.

Just a quick comment regarding the Appendix D "Suggested Packages".

Your recommendation aren't consistent with Debian.
 * openoffice, gimp, ekiga, pigin... are installed by default[1]
   so there is no need to explain how to install them.
 * Debian has chosen to install openoffice rather that abiword and
   gnumeric, so it's awkward that your first example is to install
   it.

Also the wiki pages http://wiki.debian.org/WindowsEquivalent aims to
list equivalent application, *in* Debian. It isn't complete yet.

Great guide, thanks

Franklin

[1] reminder, to list package installed by default (without
    dependencies), use
      tasksel install -t desktop
      aptitude search ~t^desktop\$ ~t^gnome-desktop$
    The base system is:
      aptitude search ~prequired ~pimportant ~pstandard
    A few other package could be auto-installed like popcon and
    hardware related packages.