Re: mmc-modules should be loaded by default on ARM Kirkwood

On Monday 25 May 2009, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> [2009-05-25 22:30]:
> > Do they accept different priority for the same udeb for different
> > arches?
>
> The udeb name contains the name of the subarch, so it would be unique.

Right. I still don't like it much.

> > IMO the better solution is to load it using anna-install, either
> > during hw-detect or early in partman, based on a (sub)architecture
> > test.  hw-detect is probably the most logical choice.
>
> Hmm, that seems overengineered too.

I disagree. The function of hw-detect, and in this case more particular
disk-detect, is to ensure any hardware needed for partitioning gets made
available. IMO this fits that definition perfectly.

> How about I simply include the udeb in the netboot initrd for that
> particular subarch?

Against that is that it's not needed at that stage, so it's initrd bloat.
And that _is_ an issue on arm.