Re: Raising minimum CPU requirement for i386 kernel

On Sun, 24 May 2009, Bastian Blank wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> I would like to raise the minimum CPU requirement for the shipped Linux
> kernels in the i386 port to i686 (with cmov).
[..]

Popcon gives us some rough numbers to think about:

linux-image-2.6-686            49518
linux-image-2.6-486             6191

Given that the installer's automatic kernel choice tends to be accurate,
we've got quite some non-cmov users. Actually, i386 has got many more
non-cmov users than any non-i386/amd64 architecture has _in total_:

linux-image-2.6-ixp4xx           772   (=arm/armel)
linux-image-2.6-powerpc          551
linux-image-2.6-sparc64          192
linux-image-2.6-orion5x          106   (=arm/armel)
(rest <100)

#include <popcon-accuracy-disclaimer.h>

So, the good work you're doing to keep supporting arm/powerpc/sparc/etc.
will actually benefit much less users than the number you'll be annoying
when you drop i386 non-cmov ...

Best regards,

Anne Bezemer