Re: Raising minimum CPU requirement for i386 kernel

Hello Bastian,

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I would like to raise the minimum CPU requirement for the shipped Linux
> kernels in the i386 port to i686 (with cmov). For now I will not propose
> a change of the default machine type setting used by the compiler.

Raise it is non-sense. I know of many people that actively use
machines that will lose support in this case.

I'm quite curious to know what is the reason for that?

I think we could possible change the default kernel available on full
CD set (if we provide an alternative image for usage by those old
machines) and I'd also support it not being available for all
installer flavours but I do think we can't just drop support for those
machines.

Cheers,

--
Otavio Salvador                  O.S. Systems
E-mail: otavio@ossystems.com.br  http://www.ossystems.com.br