Re: "Unneeded" packages being installed

Hi!

On Thu, 21 May 2009 16:46:07 +0200
Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es> wrote:

> + Frans Pop (Wed, 20 May 2009 20:00:39 +0200):
>
> > On Wednesday 20 May 2009, Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:
> > > Still using the minimal install example (without selection
> > > "standard system" nor other task), shouldn't them have their
> > > priority lowered then?
>
> > Possibly. But that is something that probably should have been done
> > *before* lenny was released. I doubt the FTP masters would be
> > willing to correct it now.
>
> > But that is where this issue should be reported: against the
> > "ftp.debian.org" pseudo package; it is not a Debian Installer issue.
>
> No. The priority of the libraries is correct, at least correct
> according to the ongoing policy "no package should depend on a
> package of lower priority". That's why those libraries are in
> important/standard, because some package there depends on them.

So it seems that I will receive a "No, you are wrong" from #529657 :-(

And just in case, with a daily-built Debian image, the list of libs
without any packages depending on them (packages from a minimal Debian
install) is:

libconsole
libgnutls26
libsasl2-2
libusb-1.0-0

And after their removal it's also possible to remove:

libdb4.6
libgcrypt11
libasn1-3
libgpg-error0