Re: "Unneeded" packages being installed

Hi Frans!

On Wed, 20 May 2009 17:31:04 +0200
Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:

> > [..]
> >
> > > I also don't see why deborphan should report them. mutt depends on
> > > the first and exim4-daemon-light on the second. Both are packages
> > > that should be installed by default.
> >
> > Are you sure exim4-daemon-light and mutt are being installed when
> > selecting no task at all?  I thought they only came when at least
> > "standard system" is selected (which doesn't seem to be the case
> > here).

That is what I was going to ask.
mutt and exim4 aren't installed if the "Standard system" task isn't
selected.

deborphan catches libsasl2-2 and libgnutls26. If removed then the
other libraries (libgcrypt11 and libtasn1-3; libgpg-error0) stay without
reverse-dependencies (deborphan reports them too).
At least from an user point of view, they are 5 unneeded libs, right?

> That does not change the fact that the libs are installed in their
> own right by debootstrap because of their priority.
> If their priority is incorrect, then that's something for the FTP
> masters. But I did not check the full reverse dependency list, I just
> picked out a few programs I recognized.

Still using the minimal install example (without selection "standard
system" nor other task), shouldn't them have their priority lowered
then?

Thank you!

Best regards,
Nelson