Re: non-free firmware, WEP/WPA, freeness and disk-order on reboot.

On Sat, 2008-10-25 at 22:01 +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Saturday 25 October 2008, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 06:01:42PM +0200, Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
> > > If I understand the situation correctly, the fact that one introduces
> > > a usb key causes that key to be enumerated before the sata hard disk,
> > > which causes grub to write an incorrect configuration file (since the
> > > standard kernel enumerate HD first).
> >
> > That would only be true if the USB disk is detected by the kernel prior
> > to the SATA hard disk, which seems to only be plausible if the SATA
> > driver itself needs to load firmware.  Is that what you're talking
> > about here?
>
> It's true for any net-based installation (netboot, mini.iso) as those
> images do contain usb-related modules, but not disk drivers.

Would it be possible/sensible to add the disk drivers to the netboot and
mini.iso image.
At 5am, this seems to be an easy way to ensure that DI and regular
systems enumerates disks in the same order (I understand that the main
drawback is that disk images size would get increased, but I don't know
the current limits).

Franklin