Re: non-free firmware, WEP/WPA, freeness and disk-order on reboot.

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 22:01:23 +0200, Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:

>On Saturday 25 October 2008, Steve Langasek wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 06:01:42PM +0200, Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
>> > If I understand the situation correctly, the fact that one introduces
>> > a usb key causes that key to be enumerated before the sata hard disk,
>> > which causes grub to write an incorrect configuration file (since the
>> > standard kernel enumerate HD first).
>>
>> That would only be true if the USB disk is detected by the kernel prior
>> to the SATA hard disk, which seems to only be plausible if the SATA
>> driver itself needs to load firmware.  Is that what you're talking
>> about here?
>
>It's true for any net-based installation (netboot, mini.iso) as those
>images do contain usb-related modules, but not disk drivers.

It happened on my netinst (from D-I daily) attempt when I left the USB stick
inserted during startup. USB->sda, Promise SATA->sdb. The IDE drives were on
hda and hdb, as I recall. I don't think any firmware is required, as this
box has had etch (and others) installed in the past.

From lspci:
00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 IGP2 (rev c1)
01:0b.0 RAID bus controller: Promise Technology, Inc. PDC20376 (FastTrak
376) (rev 02)

I'll try to file a regular installation report after I succeed.  --Don