Re: Release RC1 NOW

Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> writes:

>> If you want this in, it can be uploaded (it is up to you) since we're
>> still waiting for cdebconf to get fixed to be able to upload
>> debian-installer package but you'd need to be fast.
>
> For $deity's sake. Can we please STOP POSTPONING the RC1 release?

We're postponing it for few reasons:

 - Last cdebconf upload is still not installed for all architectures;
 - We still have the translation issue that you've found, Jeremy
   proposed a fix and Colin has raised few comments on it. It should
   be sorted out soon. (Jeremy looks busy so I asked Colin to take a
   look at it);
 - This change involves minor changes to d-i and a package that will
   be only used by us now; I'd prefer to keep it to be decided by
   Martin who has the needed knoledge to know if it should be in or
   not;

> As I said last week it would take at least a week to get the
> cairo/cdebconf uploads sorted out, and it _did_ take more than a week.

It was better to wait it then have another RC just for it.

> In the mean time we've also had a new kernel upload (and there's another
> upstream stable update coming up).
>
> Also in the mean time we've had several NEW RC issues reported, because
> luckily some users use daily built images for installs. However, most
> users are still probably effectively testing the Beta2 release as they
> are using either Beta2 itself or weekly builds (which are now >2 week old
> as well).

Sure and I do agree that we should run to release an RC release as
soon as possible but there were things to be sorted out that we knew
were need before a final release so it couldn't be called a RC in this
case.

With the cdebconf translation issue solved, it'll be truely called
RC. If no new issues are discovered then we're done.

> We *NEED* the extra testing that an RC release gives us. And, as I said
> last week, there will definitely be new reasons to either postpone RC1 or
> do an RC2 tomorrow, and if not tomorrow, then next week.

Until cdebconf is built to hppa, no RC can be done.

> And we also still have broken etchnhalf installs because Beta2 netboot is
> broken.

That is sad but users can use daily netboot for it.

> SO PLEASE JUST GET THE FREAKING RC1 RELEASE OUT!
>
> Finally, before you open up the repo for post-lenny commits, please bring
> the lenny branch into shape!

Yep! Will do.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R