Re: Tibetan Machine Uni font sources for the new version (v1.901)

Hi
On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 10:25:00PM +0200, Davide Viti wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 09:32:03PM +0200, Davide Viti wrote:

> > > Hmmm. That's not nice for the memory usage of the graphical installer.
> > > It would be good to look into that before the new version is uploaded.
> >
> > I've created PDF charts [1] for old and new version just to have a quick way
> > for comparing the two: new version does contain more glyphs indeed.
> >
> > The obvious suggestion would be to introduce a mechanism fo stripping unneeded glyps
> > out of the udeb as we already do for ttf-dejavu [2] and ttf-freefont [3] packages.
> >
> > [1] http://alioth.debian.org/~zinosat-guest/ttf-tmuni/
> > [2] svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-fonts/packages/ttf-dejavu
> > [3] svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-fonts/packages/ttf-freefont
>
> If you look at the above mentioned PDF charts, you'll notice that TONS of new
> glyphs have been added to the "Private Use Area" (old version had only one "page" containing
> glyphs, new version has 8 pages) and "Supplementary Private Use Area-A" which was not
> covered at all in previous version, and now covers 10 pages.
>
> I'm pretty sure we can reduce this font as to be smaller than it was in previous version, but
> we must be careful not to remove needed ranges: I can help with this, but need some hints from
> people using the font and knowing what is really needed.
>
> Davide

so,
I've finally found some time to look again at this and wrote some notes [1] while
trying to work on it. Results look promising (back to ~1.3 Mb) and I know we can
do much better: which other ranges can we safely remove?

regards,
Davide

[1] http://www.alioth.debian.org/~zinosat-guest/dwiki/tibetan_machine/