Re: [RFC] Add support for shells in the graphical installer

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 04:27:24PM +0200, Davide Viti wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 02:04:59AM +0200, J??r??my Bobbio wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 08:04:29PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> > > That is still with the to-much-reduced font udeb, isn't it? Or did Davide
> > > already provide a new version for you?
> >
> > I have used the last one mentioned by Davide on the list, which is the
> > too-much-reduced one, IIRC.
>
> I've prepared a new package […]

Which I have used to produce a new image, see:
  http://people.debian.org/~lunar/g-i+terminal-mini.iso

(Home and End keys should work fine.)

> Here some numbers:
> 73738  ttf-dejavu-mono-udeb_2.25-2_all.udeb
> 123660 DejaVuSansMono.ttf

And more numbers:
(not including rescue-mode and rescue-check as the previous image)

  * initrd size:
      without:   12609 k
         with:   13473 k
            => +   864 k

  * memory after boot:
      without:  47044 k
         with:  49060 k
            => + 2016 k

  * memory for the shell:
      before shell: 49496 k
      during shell: 50612 k
                => + 1116 k

(Test process: qemu, expert installation, adding a shell on ttyS0 by
editing /etc/inittab with BOOT_DEBUG, switching to serial console and
looking at the "used" column with the "free" command.)

In its current (and hopefully final) version, support for shells in the
graphical installer require the introduction of three new udebs, namely:
cdebconf-terminal, libvte9-udeb and ttf-dejavu-mono-udeb.

I would take care of cdebconf-terminal as part of d-i,
ttf-dejavu-mono-udeb as been worked on by Davide and Loïc Minier already
integrated most of the required changes in VTE's packaging repository.

I think that most issues I have been told about have now been solved.
I would be happy if we could take a final decision quite soon.  I can
see four options:

 [ ] NACK
 [ ] Further discussions after Lenny is released
 [ ] Merge now, including cdebconf-gtk-terminal in the gtk initrd
 [ ] Merge now, loading cdebconf-gtk-terminal on demand

I would tick the third one myself.  As far as I have seen, the memory
usage stays below 64 MB memory before anna drop its translation.  And
having a shell is pretty worthwhile when you have trouble with your
network setup… :)

Cheers,
--
Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
lunar@debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism