Can't boot with second harddrive plugged in (even after following suggestions)

I managed to eventually get debianslug installed by installing to a
flash memory pen. The I have a second harddrive (IDE) which is attached
via a harddrive enclosure via USB. Everything seems to have gone okay
and the system now boots and I have installed what I need.

My only issue is when I plug in the harddrive caddy into the second
port, the system won't reboot properly. I know this is an issue which a
few people have because of the lack of persistent labels for the drives
apparently (according to the troubleshooting section). I have tried what
is suggested and still cant boot with the harddrive connected. This is a
hassle at the moment as I would like to reboot the slug at least once a
week just to clean everything out of memory etc (as it sometimes seems
to crash when copying large amounts of files). But at the moment, I have
to be near it to unplug the harddrive, and then replug it it after it
has booted.

Does the procedure documented in the following page work for everyone?

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/MountDisksByLabel

Does anyone else have a trick which they used to make it reboot without
having to manually unplug the second drive? If I can do this, life would
be perfect with my NSLU2 :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mark.