Re: Changing device names DELL ProLiant 1950

On Tuesday 15 July 2008, Doku.Miller@gmx.net wrote:
> The RAID system is recognized as /dev/sdb and no /dev/sda available.
> So Grub and fstab get a configuration for /dev/sdb during the
> installation.

This is very strange. It is very unusual that the kernel would skip sda
during installation. Are you sure you did not have some device like a USB
stick connected to the system during the early parts of the installation?

> When the system reboots in the new installed system the harddisc is
> visible as /dev/sda while the first time it was /dev/sdb. So all device
> paths are wrong. I can fix grub menu.lst and fstab and everything is
> working, but I want to do a preseeded installation.

This is a known general issue described in the errata for the installer.
Current "workaround" is to just fix it when it happens. Sometimes
blacklisting a certain module can help. See the installation guide for
info on how to do that.

> Is it possible that the different kernel,  module and/or module
> konfiguration in the d-i initram-fs is causing this?

Without seeing the log files it is impossible to tell. Suggest you take a
close look at the syslog of the installer (or the output of dmesg)
yourself.

Cheers,
FJP