Re: Make syslinux beep?

Hi,

> IIRC correctly it has been discussed before and was rejected as to
> annoying for the normal case. I must say I agree with that.

And I do also. However, I'd like to ask the folloing question: assuming
that this may be of some help for others, would such an annoyance really
be unacceptable ?
Do you really mean that one should not let annoying things happen, if
they may help others ?
Here we are not even talking about something that would be annoying each
time a system boots, we just talk about _installation_.

> Especially as there's not that much magic involved in booting from CD:
> just waiting for some time and hitting enter should also work. There is
> no real difference between "there was no beep" and "I hit enter but
> nothing happened".

It is not a question of pressing enter...
Disabled persons may need to type some arguments to be passed to brltty
at the syslinux prompt, e.g. to specify which serial braille device to
use since this cannot be properly autodetected.
So, if there is no way to be sure that the prompt has been reached, one
will blindly type the arguments and then press enter, and then, if
nothing happens, here will be no way to determine whether ithe problem
occurred before or after the syslinux prompt.

> In both cases a disabled person is going to need help
> from others to figure out the cause.

I am tempted to say that, although you may be right, that's not a reason
not to do everything reanoably possible to minimize the needed help.
Also, one can notice that it is often the case that the eyes reading the
screen for us in emergency situations are those of a non-expert,
sometimes non-english speaking person in France. That's why I already
noticed that, the more information I can have by myself, the better the
situation is.

Sébastien.