Re: [RFC] Add support for shells in the graphical installer

On Wednesday 16 July 2008, Davide Viti wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 03:31:56PM +0200, J??r??my Bobbio wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 01:35:45AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> > > - Chinese looks reasonable: fairly sharp but some characters are
> > > much brighter than others (varying from very dark grey to white);
> > > guess antialiasing would be needed?
> >
> > I see that VteTerminal API has a VTE_ANTI_ALIAS_FORCE_ENABLE option,
> > but it does not sound like a good idea to use it.

Why not?

> > Davide, is there any special things that we should know about Chinese
> > in DejaVu-Mono?
>
> Dejavu* do not contain any glyph falling in the Chinee range, so I
> guess they're taken out of the ttf-cjk-compact-udeb (which I guess is
> not monospaced)

Monospace is not the problem here. And adding CJK (and all other
languages) in the monospace font would require way too much memory
anyway.

The languages that are in there now have a reasonably limited character
set, so the cost is not too high. The same is just not true for most
other languages.

IMO this is not a major issue and improving it is not a priority. If there
are simple tricks (such as antialiasing) that can improve things at low
cost, then fine. If not, to bad.
It could well be that it looks much better on a real display than in an
emulator. I did see a big difference for a few scripts yesterday when I
did an install on real hardware.