Re: Reusing existing partitions

On Tuesday 15 July 2008, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> So, is there a "correct" way of accomplishing this with d-i? Currently,
> we'd been running an early_command that erased the first partition, and
> then we preseeded d-i to use the largest free space. That seems to be
> causing a second swap partition to be created. If you repeat this
> process too many times, the partition table starts to look ridiculous
> :-)

This is probably the simplest workaround. I think you should be able to
avoid the extra swap by specifying a custom recipe that just does not
contain a swap partition to be used with the free space option.

You may have to add a custom hook script somewhere to get partman to use
your existing swap. Should be as simple as creating a flag file in the
appropriate dir: /var/lib/partman/devices/$device/$partition.
The key file here is named "method" with content "swap\n". Normally swap
partitions are formatted by default, but omitting the (empty) "format"
flag file should work too.
I expect the other files in the partition dir to be recreated
automatically.

Of course you will have to identify what's the correct dir somehow.

Cheers,
FJP