Re: Extensive documentation for preseed?

On Friday 11 July 2008, Shachar Or wrote:
> Where can I find the full question text which corresponds to each
> preseed line/option?
>
> I'm asking this because there's no documentation for this AFAIK and I'd
> love to just find out myself instead of shooting this list with these
> questions.

There is no "one list to rule them all". As configuration questions change
all the time, such a list would be impossible to maintain anyway.

The installation guide has the best list there is for practical purposes.
Most normal use cases for preseeding are documented there and this really
should be taken as the leading guide. Creating totally new constructs
beyond what's documented there is usually not possible.

If you are looking for additional possible values, see (use correct
version of the manual!):
http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/i386/apbs03.html.en
That is mostly useful to look up values for specific additional questions
you actually get asked interactively and want to preseed, i.e. for
fine-tuning your installation.

You can see which questions exist (for the installer) by looking at
/var/lib/cdebconf/templates.dat, and see which values they have in
questions.dat in the same dir. The first file will also tell you what
possible values exist for selection lists.

Cheers,
FJP