Re: Apdatec DPT SmartRAID V, 1044:a501, "Boot into new system" fails

Hi.

> My advice is to search in the udev corner,
> a starting point could be
>   find /etc/udev -type f | xargs grep 1044:a501
> in the installed system.

No reference to the card came out from this command.

> > > Let us, the mailinglist, known how to boot with the adaptec 2400

Still no luck with it; so we decided to replace that card with an IDE
controller PCI card (Promise TX2 133).

And it's not getting any better: I installed again the system with the
"etch" netinst CD; the installation goes OK (the drives attached to the
controller PCI card are also detected).
But when grub loads the newly installed kernel, the machine reboots! (Where
previously it just freezed.)
If I remove the PCI card, the machine boots OK from the hard disk.
If I leave the card in, and boot a "sarge" system (that provides a 2.4
kernel), the problem does not occur (no immediate reboot).

What are the possibilities then?

Faulty hardware: motherboard?  Now, it would be a great coincidence that
both PCI cards would be defective. [I even put them in different slots.]

Kernel bug?  As the problem shows up differently (reboot vs freeze) with
each card.
Also for the IDE card, the behaviour is different for 2.4 (boot OK) and 2.6
(freeze).

What test can I perform in order to know whether we have to buy a new
machine?
[And still wondering why the kernel booted from the install CD works and
then doesn't when booted from the hard disk...]

Thanks for your help,
Gilles