Re: console-setup switch: i18n will be a hot topic-->find smething else?

Quoting Otavio Salvador (otavio@debian.org):
> Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Shouldn't we go the Ubuntu way and prompt users for some keys to
> > decide about the keyboard layout?
>
> For a begginer, it's better but if you know your keyboard layout I
> think is better to be able to choose it directly.

Yes, switching back to the console-setup way as it is now would
definitely be seen as a regression by our regular users .....and so
would be the use of the keyboard recognition stuff from Ubuntu.

BTW, all this does not solve the major issue we have with regards of
c-s i18n. As it is now, I personnally would just veto its use because
of the country names/layout/model/variant not being localized.

So, I more or less see the following way if we really want to use c-s:

- define a "restricted set" of "common keymaps" which would be
offerred as an immediate choice in a single list (more or less the way
it's currently done with kbd-chooser)

- make all this internationalized

- add an "Other" choice that would switch to either the Ubuntu
keyboard recognition stuff or to the current layout/model/variant
questions of c-s (but that also needs i18n)

Quite a huge work, indeed....