Re: Fwd: [i18n] Input Method and Fonts improvements for Gutsy

On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 01:31:37PM +0100, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 09:10:57AM -0500, Ming Hua wrote:
>
> > SCIM doesn't have the best support for all languages, its biggest
> > advantage is multi-language support.  SCIM also has its own shortcomings,
> > the most infamous one being causing crash in GTK+ applications linked to
> > libstdc++5 [1,2,3], which means firefox from mozilla.org, Adobe acroread,
> > ATi proprietary video driver, etc.
>
> This sounds more like a bug than a shortcoming; can it not be fixed?  It
> sounds like a dynamic linking issue, and there are folks around who know
> that part of the stack much better than I do.

Yes, it is a bug, already reported in Debian [1] and Ubuntu [2].  From
what I have understood, the really culprit is GCC, and to fix it would
need an ABI change in libstdc++, so we have to wait for libstdc++7 to
have it fixed.  I don't claim I get all the facts right though, the bug
reports have enough pointers for people who are interested in this
problem.

1. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=323216
2. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/scim/+bug/2246

Ming