Re: Netcfg and allow-hotplug vs auto

Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> writes:

> On Thursday 12 July 2007 20:59, Matheus Morais wrote:
>> netcfg module is responsible to write
>> /etc/network/interfaces at installation time right? Why use
>> allow-hotplug instead auto in network configuration file?
>
> Mostly because it improves support for laptops which may not always be
> connected to a wired network, but IIRC some have mentioned benefits for
> fixed systems too.

The problem of using auto is that the booting gets stuck until
dhclient3 timeouts, if you lack network support while booting the
system. If you use allow-hotplug it doesn't happen.

> I thought we had that covered before Etch, but recently a change was
> included in the daily images for Lenny which should resolve any remaining
> issues. It would be great if you could test that.

Maybe, Matheus NIC lacks MII extensions.

Matheus, can you provide the output of the command:

#: mii-tool -v

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116