partman ext2r0 broken?

I just tried to do an installation on a Cobalt MIPS machine after
being away from the machine for several months and I get an error
during partitioning.  When it wants to format /boot, which is to get
an ext2 r0 (old ext2) partition, it fails with:

  The ext2 (revision 0) file system creation in partition #1 of IDE1
  master (hda) failed.

In /var/log/syslog I see:

  Jan  1 00:11:29 partman: Filesystem features not supported with revision 0 filesystems

partman says for this partition: Mount options: defaults

Does anyone have an idea what might have broken ext2 r0 support?
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/