Re: Debian Etch on IBM JS20 fails on hard drive

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 09:34:30AM -0500, Mathew Binkley wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 02:51:42PM -0500, Mathew Binkley wrote:
> >> Hello.  I attemped to install Debian Etch on a IBM JS20 using an iso
> >> from 09/22/2006.  The install works correctly until it tries (and fails)
> >> to detect the PATA hard drive.  None of the modules listed will work
> >> with it.
>
> > The amd74xx is the one in charge, can you go into a console, and then do an
> > lsmod to see if it is loaded ?
> >
> > can you try modprobing it ? I can't really check it out myself, since my devel
> > box is currently down right now, and i have no checked out tree.
> >
> > Mayube someone else within the d-i team can look at the powerpc kernel .udebs
> > to see where the amd74xx module is included and further help MAthew ?
>
> Apologies for not getting back earlier.   I've downloaded the Oct 3
> Debian testing PPC, and I'm still having the same problem.  lsmod does
> not show the amd74xx driver loaded.  modprobe doesn't work either; the
> driver is not in /lib/modules.

Frans, can you comment ? I saw you commited this fix, but maybe you didn't
upload it yet ? Or maybe there is another issue ?

Mmm, it is in the kernel-wedge ide-module list, not sure if the powerpc .udeb
modules are built after your change or not.

> I appreciate the help you guys are offering.  We've been stuck using
> SuSE on these blades for two years.  I'm *greatly* looking forward to
> the day I can use a good OS on them. :-)

And we appreciate your bug reports, which allow us to fix bugs on hardware we
don't own ourselves.

Friendly,

Sven Luther