Re: sarge 2.6.14 kernel panics on boot on a x86 machine with a Promise ATA/RAID disk controller

2005/11/19, Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl>:

> > So why is it that on with a 2.6.14 kernel I get a kernel panic at boot
> > ? A problem with initrd ? devfs ? ... the ATA/RAID driver ?
>
> My guess is that for 2.6 the devices for the harddisk are named /dev/sdax
> instead of /dev/hdax and you need to modify your /etc/fstab and possibly
> your bootloader configuration to reflect that.
> The other option is that the correct driver has not been loaded.
> Use shift-PgUp to scroll back through earlier boot messages on the console
> to check which is the case.
>
> Cheers,
> FJP

Thank you.
Well from the ataraid driver documentation, the device name is
/dev/ataraid/d0px both in 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.

And to the best of my knowledge the right driver is compiled into the kernel.

I've trying doing Shift+PgUp, but I cannot scroll back. Actually, the
system doesn't respond to any key, not even Ctrl-Alt-Del.

Any idea ?