Re: PXE-install fails on one of two identical setups.

Hi Thomas,

First off, run memtest86+ on all the machines.  If possible, let it run
overnight; although if the problem is this severe, I'd imagine you should
pick it up quickly.

On Thursday 24 November 2005 11:17, Thomas Alexander Frederiksen wrote:
> [...] anna fails with "bad md5sum" [...]
>
> Heres is what we've tried so far, with absolutely no luck:
>
> Using one of the official mirrors rather than our local.
What happened?  Did the install work or not?

> [snip, much switching and comparing of things]
> Any ideas on where we should continue the investigation of this annoying
> problem?

Assuming the install with official mirrors worked, then there's two
possibilities:
  1. a hardware fault with the server (mirror/tftp/...) machine is causing
data corruption (e.g. PCI bus is broken, faulty memory)

  2. some networking equipment (switch? cable?) on the path from the
troublesome machine to the install machine is faulty.

I'd recommend physically moving the server to the known-working (ostensibly
identical) server's location, plugging it in with the same network and
power/mains connectors.

If the problem moves, then its within the server (faulty PCI bus / memory).
If the problem goes away, then try moving the working server back and see if
you can recreate the problem with the "known working" server.

HTH,

Paul.