Re: Debian Sarge on Dell Sata Drive

On Wednesday 23 November 2005 21:08, Reuben Kishoyian wrote:
> Iam new to debian and linux in general and iam tring to install debian
> sarge on a new Dell PowerEdge SC430 which has SATA hardrive.
> Unfortunately the installation CD cannot find the SATA hard drive in my
> installation process.Does any one have any help or step by step guide
> on how i can successfully install Debian on my Dell server.Thanks.
> Reuben

The kernels (2.4.27 and 2.6.8) available in Sarge have limited SATA
support. The default kernel used is 2.4.27. Did you already try booting
the installer with 'linux26' to check if the 2.6.8 kernel works.

If 2.6.8 does not work, there is no easy solution for installing Sarge.
You may have more luck with the beta1 release [1] of the installer for
Etch, which has a 2.6.12 kernel.
There may also be unofficial images around that use a newer kernel to
install Sarge.

Please search the list archives for more information. There have been a
lot of posts over the last months about installing on Dell servers.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/