Re: [g-i] Using ttf-arabeyes as a test case for font udebs

On Sunday 20 November 2005 16:31, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Today, I had a look at the ttf-arabeyes package in order to see how
> difficult it could be to produce a udeb aimed for our needs in g-i
>
> I have produced a patch to the package which adds a ttf-arabeyes-udeb
> package which provides the
> usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-arabeyes/ae_Tholoth.ttf file we use in
> g-i

That's nice and appreciated, but...

The reason I've not acted on the fonts issue until now is that creating
font udebs is not something that should be done on a font by font basis.
Different font files have heavy overlap in the characters they provide
and as font files are relatively big, you cannot "just creating font
udebs and including them".
That's also why I think the current tarballs are not all that bad as
experimenting with those is easier than when you have udebs

Yesterday I've created a new WIKI page [1] listing TODO items and issues
in which I've listed my thoughts on the fonts issue.

What we need IMO is someone who has experience with fonts and who's
willing to attack the issue in a coordinated way and investigate
inventive ways to reduce the amount of space used. (Hint: not me.)
Creating udebs should be the end result of that.

I don't mind efforts creating udebs that supply the fonts we use currently
as long as it is clear to the maintainers that it is only a first
approximation and that revisions may be needed. It may even be that the
fonts we're using now are not the best ones and that an udeb is not
needed at all in the end...
Example: at one point I dropped the TTF fonts for Chinese/Japanese in
favor of a bitmapped font.

Cheers,
Frans

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstallerGUIToDo

P.S. The wiki was the first step to the announcement on d-d-a; the
announcement is next.