Re: CD Drive Issue Installing on iMac G5

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 08:08:43PM +1300, Torrance wrote:
> Hiya everyone,
>
> I'm a total newbie to Linux/Debian and I'm trying to install Sarge on
> my iMac G5. I'm getting past the initial installer screens, setting
> the language, country, keyboard, etc. HOWEVER, just before it attempts
> to run the rest of the installer of the CD it comes up with an error
> claiming it cannot locate the CD drive. It asks me to locate the
> driver (I think) but I wouldn't know where to point it.

The right list for stuff like this is debian-boot@lists.debian.org, or even
better a propper installation report from :

  http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch05s03.html#submit-bug

> I have no idea what to do - but this must be a common problem with
> hardware that is as generic as Apple's. Can anyone help?

This is probably due to your iMac being newer than what was available when
sarge was released, can that be ? In any case the problem is not with the CD
drive, but the IDE/SATA driver. Please try the etch beta1 :

  http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/etch_d-i/powerpc/beta1/debian-testing-powerpc-netinst.iso

Or :

  http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/etch_d-i/powerpc/beta1/debian-testing-powerpc-businesscard.iso

The first one probably has a yaboot-config bug, so the second one should
work, but it is more brittle with regard to etch base system changes, if
neither work, you can go with the daily builds :

  http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/daily/powerpc/current/debian-testing-powerpc-netinst.iso

It would also be interesting to know what the result of the graphical
installer is on apple G5 hardware, since this is the last one we didn't test
the graphical installer on :

  http://people.debian.org/~fjp/d-i/gtk-miniiso/alpha/powerpc/

Just boot it, no need to do the full install, altough it works nicely.

(Mmm, Frans, how do the above graphical-d-i differ from the daily builds i do ?)

Friendly,

Sven Luther