Re: [D-I] Supporting 2.6.14 kernels in base-installer

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 08:31:28AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 08:38:03PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 10:38:41PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > I still think choice is good, and also what users expect of debian. A sane
> > > default, plus the ability to override that in expert mode.

> > Choice is overrated, and a poor substitute for properly working tools.
> > "Which initramfs generator do I need to use so that my system will be
> > bootable post-install?" is not a choice that *any* user looks forward to
> > making; if a user really has a strong preference for yaird vs.
> > initramfs-tools, that option is open to them after the install.

> The real question here is :

>   1) what does it cost us.

I *listed* other costs, which you apparently ignored.

>   Joeyh is concerned about testing. I personally have doubts that this is a
>   bad thing, as it means more testing which is good, but i defer to his
>   greater experience on this.

No, this is extra testing of *code that wouldn't need to exist if not for
this option*.  That's not good, that's *wasteful*.

> > Too often, Debian developers (and Open Source folks in general) give users
> > "choices" in lieu of making sound technical decisions or fixing bugs.  I'll
> > take "install this; it works, and when it doesn't, the bugs will get fixed"
> > any day over "well, you can have mediocre.py, or you can have mediocre.pl;
> > if one doesn't work, use the other one".  In the case of initramfs
> > generators in the installer, giving users "choice" instead of just fixing
> > bugs means pushing the load on the installer team for testing a greater
> > number of code paths, and on the translators for debconf templates that no
> > one should ever need.

> Nope, it is more than a technical difference in language used, it is a
> different design goal between both.

Um... the design goal is "create an initramfs that boots the user's system."
Any other design goals are almost completely irrelevant to the user...