Testing a new udeb: best method?

I'm still fighting with a problem I actually can't solve and I don't
really know why.

I sbegan working on user-setup, a udeb package which supposedly will
replace the very temporary initial-passwd-udeb package we released
along with shadow.

See debian-installer-people/bubulle/user-setup

I built it and would like to test it before uploading

I first attempted to add it to a custom netboot mini ISO image. The
new entry appears in menus (intended to show up after base-installer)
but when I reach it, the program fails because the templates it uses
seem unknown by cdebconf (all db_get/db_set operations fails with
errorlevel 10).

These templates are named passwd/whatever to match the former
templates we had in shadow for these matters.

Am I using the best method for these testings and in fact, why do my
tests fail?

Anyone having an idea?