Re: [D-I] Supporting 2.6.14 kernels in base-installer

On Monday 14 November 2005 21:47, Joey Hess wrote:
> This seems more in-scope for the kernel team to decide than the d-i
> team, but if it would help I can flip a coin..

Note that one consideration is consistency between Debian and Ubuntu in
d-i. Ubuntu have implemented initramfs-tools and in fact Colin has
committed the code to support initramfs-tools today. Colin has left the
option to also/alternatively include yaird open though.

One thing to keep in mind if we should go for initramfs-tools. debian-cd
will include yaird and dependencies by default on CD images to satisfy
kernel-image dependencies as yaird is listed first in the dependency
list. So we'd need some debian-cd magic to exclude yaird and include
initramfs-tools.

If an arch has a strong preference for "the other" tool if we should
select one, I guess this could be supported. This will in practice put
the burden of maintaining the code and testing installations on the
porter(s) involved though.