Re: [D-I] Supporting 2.6.14 kernels in base-installer

On Sunday 13 November 2005 18:32, Jeff Bailey wrote:
> On dim, 2005-11-13 at 12:46 +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > I think it is possible at least for initramfs-tools to run without
> > sysfs on the building system.
>
> Right.  The caveat to this is "dep" mode.  The default mode for
> initramfs-tools is to include all of the modules that you're likely
> interested in booting with in the initramfs and detecting which ones to
> use at boot time.  If you ask it to detect which modules are needed, it
> needs a valid sysfs tree to scan (although it is resiliant in that case
> against module name changes)

Thanks for the explanation.

I think the "dep" mode is to be preferred over the "most" mode in
principle, so this would need to be configured by d-i.
I very much doubt that mounting /sys in the chroot will be a problem. It
has worked for me so far when installing 2.6.14 kernels in a chroot.