Re: Failed making boot-CD with aic79xx driver :(

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 10:06:10AM +0800, Zachary Wu wrote:
> yes, I apt-get the kernel-source-2.6.8, stable version
>
> I think it's just the reason why I got a "Invalid module format".
> Where can I find the config used for the installer kernel?

Certainly seems likely.

> The compiler is the version from Sarge install ISO. I don't know if it
> is the same version what is used for building the installer kernel

Well uname -a on console 2 of the installer should say what compiler was
used.  I believe the kernel used on the installer is the generic kernel
for the architecture, so on i386 it would be kernel-image-2.6.8-1-386 or
something similar to that (or 2.4.27).  The /boot/config-version in that
package should I believe have the correct configuration to match it.

If you run dmesg|head you should see the compiler used for the kernel.
For example:
Linux version 2.6.11-9-amd64-k8 (dannf@pond) (gcc version 3.4.5 20050613 (prerelease) (Debian 3.4.4-1)) #1 Mon Jun 27 22:07:27 MDT 2005

So the compiler for that kernel was Debian version 3.4.4-1 it would
appear.

> At last, I think I should connect the writer of the installer CD. But I
> can't find who is the man :(

Probably the debian-boot team as a whole makes that image.  It takes
more than one person as far as I can tell.

Len Sorensen