Re: Merging partman

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 02:13:27PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> > The benefits of the many source packages instead of only one are: 1. It
> > is easier for the developers to add a new component to partman - they
> > can simply copy an existing package and change whatever they want. 2.
> > Different partman packages have separate changelogs and this is usefull.
> > 3. Different partman packages can have different maintainers.  4. It is
> > easier to make third party partman-components (partman-md started as
> > such a package)
>
> Hmm, good reasons. I hadn't read Colin's mail as wanting to add a
> packages/partman/debian and leave the udeb source packages split with
> the partman-*/debian as-is, but I could have misunderstood it.

Wasn't really what I had in mind, but it could be done. It makes life
somewhat more complicated for me since I then have to merge identical
Ubuntu changes into two separate source packages, and I'm bound to get
it wrong at some point.

I was thinking more of leaving a subdirectory's debian/ directory there
as an example for third-party components.

(Third-party components in practice seem to involve rather more changes
in partman proper than this, anyway.)

> Don't much like the name partition-manager.deb either FWIW; users seem to
> know it's called partman somehow.

How about renaming partman to partman-core, to free up the name? That
makes more sense to me anyway.

Cheers,