Re: RFC: Change handling of priorities and install options

Frans Pop wrote:
> Personally I'm a fan of medium priority installs. Allows me to skip the
> DHCP probe when I'm testing from qemu, allows me to switch to VT2 to do
> stuff before/after each step.
> I also see a lot of users who go "hey, I'm an experienced user, so I
> should boot expert", while in most cases medium prio would be better
> suited.

Can you give some examples of questions asked in low priority that are
unsuitable for expert mode?

> I propose adding the following screen at the beginning of a medium prio
> (or expert) install:
>
> *Choose advanced installation options*
> [ ] Select locales manually
> [ ] Static network configuration (DHCP is used by default)
> [ ] Prompt for module parameters
> [ ] ...
> [ ] Run installation in debug mode

This is a pretty good idea, but how do you make the list content modular?
What about options that depend on other options?

If you come up with a sufficiently good way then it could also be used
to implement my previous idea of making the first stage of d-i be a list
that lets the user configure everything, or skip configuring it if the
installer guesses right.

> These choices would set debconf vars like "settings/select_locales". Which
> means that the display of some dialogs will be governed by both debconf
> priority and their associated setting.
> The last option would activate low priority.

Why not just use the seen flag?

--
see shy jo