Re: installing on ASUS K8N-E Deluxe

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 05:02:10PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> > The i386 install had one major obstacle, the onboard network was not
> > detected, it might have loaded the nic module, but DHCP and manual network
> > config did not work. I think this is due to a second network card magically
> > appearing on the box, ethernet over firewire, which received eth0, the real
> > network card received eth1. After changing network/interfaces to use eth1
> > instead of eth0, everything worked out smootly.
>
> The firewire ethernet will always be available as eth0 on systems
> running 2.6 that have a firewire controller. d-i should not have
> defaulted to a probably non-fuctional firewire interface if there was
> another ethernet interface that had link. If it did default to eth0 in
> the question about which one to use, this might be a bug in the link
> detection code.

There was nothing hooked up to the firewire, but the NIC was connected to a
switch. So I guess it is a bug in the link detection code. Could there be
anyhting in the installer log files? I could try to retrieve them tomorrow.
I also tried a knoppix 3.6 (i386), it did not detect the network either.

> > The AMD64 install had another major obstacle, the installer did not find the
> > release file. It was looking in (typing from memory) debian/dists//Release,
>
> Most times I've seen this reported it's been due to a problem reading
> the CD, which makes it not notice a symlink and not figure out what the
> suite is. We've mostly seen this one much older machines though, with
> DMA problems.

I think the CD drive was a LG DVD writer, I don't remember the exact model,
but I can check tomorrow. But if the drive does not like to operate in DMA
mode, why did it work with the old image, all images, i386 and both amd64
where written to the same CD-RW disk. The non-working amd64 image was
written with the LG drive itself, while the other images where written on my
desktop with plextor CD writer. But I don't think the image was bad.

Christian