Re: debian-installer netboot

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 05:25:06PM +0200, peccatte wrote:
> Le mar 11/05/2004 à 15:59, Eugeniy Meshcheryakov a écrit :
> > peccatte wrote:

> > > Then the manifest is wrong. And vmlinuz is not bootable "as is". You
> > > must modify it to make it an etherboot file or a PXE boot file.

> > You does not need to modify vmlinuz for netboot. You may use something
> > like syslinux to boot it.

> You're right.
> Then why does the make netboot produce a mini.iso file and why doesn't
> it associate vmlinuz withe the correct pxelinux.0 and config file ?

The mini.iso file is a bootable ISO image built using the kernel and
initrd from d-i's netboot target.  This means the image has ethernet
drivers, and not much else.  It is grouped under netboot because that's
what it's built from.

> And maybe the same question applies to alpha architecture as there is
> only a vmlinuz and an initrd.gz in the debian ftp server.

I've already indicated where you can find working daily images.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer