Re: release status update

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 10:29:28PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> >  3. at least one successful installation report per boot method
>
> I have not had time to track installation reports. Could someone take
> a pass through the list of recent reports and post a summary to the list
> please? My vague impressions:
>
> - i386 is generally working ok
> - powerpc is working ok the subarches that worked last time
> - once again we are almost out of time on including any more powerpc
>   subarches

No, this is not quite exact.

chrp, chrp-rs6k and prep will be working this time around, i think
everything is there, but i need to fiddle the build system for it still
to build the initrd images, but i do this already by hand, and
everything is in place for it. This would use the powerpc netboot
initrd.

the cdrom initrd is too big though, i will not have time to fix the
kernel for this, so maybe building a new specialized initrd image with
all the apple stuff removed would do, not sure though.

The powerpc-small floppy target will probably not be on time. Jeremie is
working on the miboot upload, and once that reaches the archive, the
build system can be fixed.

power3 and power4/G5 kernels and initrd are not yet done, but i will
have a go at them this week, so hopefully that will be ok. Kernels for
G5 powerpmac have not been tested, despite my call for volunteer, but if
they don't work out, 2.6 kernels will be needed.

It needs linux-kernel-di support for the modules, which i hear is
problematic, and some volunteer to test them.

> > Here is a short list of things that need to be done still before release:
>
> And an update, as if you can't read the top of TODO yourselves. :-)
>
>  - partman
>         - testing!
>         - clean up lvmcfg UI issue
>         - probably go for i386, powerpc; other arches unknown

I tested it on powerpc, altough couldn't do much tests. My disk has
vital information i cannot afford to loose. More to this in a separate
mail.

Friendly,

Sven Luther