Re: Base system installation error

Hello,

forgive me should I ignore important details that were mentioned on the
thread before.

Johannes Behr" <johannes.behr@zgdv.de> wrote:

> It's really frustrating. I must have a running system on
> the notebook for a presentation next week. I thought I could
> use reinstall my debian (had some trouble with the nvidia-driver)
> to get a clean system and now I really don't know how
> to get the system up and running again.

If you are so short on time, then maybe other routes get you to
``a running system''

a. have you considered trying Knoppix? (www.knoppix.org) Its Debian based,
   can be installed to harddrive and could possibly get you going.

b. have you considered installing a woody minimal system, edit
   /etc/apt/sources.list and run apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade?
   Allthough the word `nvidia' makes this kind of unlikely

c. have you considered trying out any other distro you happen to get your
   fingers on?

I'm *not* saying: forget Debian.

I *am* saying: given the timeframe, would ``any'' running distro do fine for
you? I'm ignoring any details here of what could work, because I don't
know. But you can always leave some space on the disk for Debian to come
:-)

just my 2 cent, your mileage may vary.

You say ``notebook'' and just in case you don't know these:
http://tuxmobil.de
http://tuxmobil.com
http://linux-laptop.net

Erich