Re: Install Sarge on a diskless workstation ?

Hi Lee,

* Lee Mitchell <lee@spamtastic.demon.co.uk> [2004-03-02 22:35]:
| Any help would be much appreciated, even if its just a simple "sorry not
| supported yet message" cos at the moment i'm just convinced i'm doing
| something dumb !

yes. That's is.
NFS isn't supported by the debian-installer boot kernel, so you will be
unable to mount *any* nfs partition. This kernel option isn't enough for
nfs access. You will also need the nfs userland binaries and of course
the portmapper program. All of them are not available in d-i (yet?).

If you install you main-system kernel at a later point in d-i you will
run into the next problem. No of the debian default kernels support
nfsroot out-of-the-box. So you must provide your own mirror/cdrom to
install d-i with such custom requirements.

I can't see the point why we should support installing on nfs volumes.
You can simply debootstrap in on the nfs master machine, or if it isn't
a Linux system you can easily copy the contents from an other machine
into the nfsroot.

Bye
Thorsten

p.s. I don't think Sarge will run without any changes in the initscripts
from a nfsroot (ro)

--
Thorsten Sauter
<tsauter@gmx.net>