main-menu retreiver selection still broken (Re: install report: sid on i386, pure SCSI)

Herbert Kaminski wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 16:51:08 -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
>
> >> Sorry, there is no little menu after hardware detection. I immediately
> >> get the screen titled "[!!] Detecting hardware and loading kernel modules"
> >> that says "Your installation CD-ROM couldn't be mounted.This probably...
> >> ...Try again to mount the CD-ROM?" Selecting "Yes" just repeats this
> >> screen, selecting "No" displays the next screen "Failed to find and
> >> mount a Debian CD". The only choice "Continue" gets me back into the main
> >> menu where I could select "Load installer components" which starts
> >> HW detection again. The second time around, I get some more detailed
> >> information: modules initio and 8139too are missing (if I understand
> >> D-I correctly by now, priorty has been changed).
> >
> >Yes, and right after that you will get the little menu that I alluded
> >to.
>
> Sorry, no little menu, but the screen saying my CD could not be mounted.
> This is the loop:
>
> Main Menu (Load Installer components)
> HW detection
> "Unable to load some modules"
> "Your installation CD could not be mounted"
> "Failed to find and mount a Debian CD-ROM"
> Main Menu (Detect and mount CD-ROM)
>
> Or, exactly the same except for the starting point:
>
> Main Menu (Detect and mount CD-ROM)
> HW detection
> "Unable to load some modules"
> "Your installation CD could not be mounted"
> "Failed to find and mount a Debian CD-ROM"
> Main Menu (Detect and mount CD-ROM)

Funny, I'd run into this same problem 94 days ago, and I filed a bug
then, but forgot about it. This is bug #218774 (main-menu).

I'm tempted to "fix" this bug by putting load-cdrom and load-floppy[1] on
the CDROM, dropping load-installer entirly, and removing (or ignoring?)
the apparently broken code in main-menu that handles chooing amoung
virtual packages that satisfy a dependency.

Matt, do you have any thoughts? As far as I can see, you touched this
part of main-menu last.

--
see shy jo

[1] Actually it would be a special late-load-floppy, with a
    menu-item-number that puts it after load-cdrom.