Re: d-i first-stage configuration

On 2004-01-30 22:06, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 05:23:19PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> > >         Language:       English
> > >         Country:        United States
> > >         Keyboard:       us
> > >         Network:        eth0 using DHCP
> > >         Hostname:       debian
> > >         Mirror:         http.us.debian.org
> > >         Mode:           novice
> > >
> > > You really think that will come across as a big blob of data, rather
> > > than a list of things that can be changed?
> >
> > "A big blob of data" is a bit too much, I'll admit that.

> > However, assume the user knows nothing about what the heck "eth0",
> > "DHCP", "hostname" or even "mirror" is; then I'd believe it's
> > confusing. :-) Of course, if we could change to "first network card",
> > "automatically", "computer name" and "download site" or whatever, it
> > would probably be slightly easier. (I'm not really sure if those are
> > sane terms or not, but you'd probably get the idea.)
> >
> > The question is, do we really need all of those? Even if the user har
> > specified "novice" first? What will it buy us over the current rather
> > "wizard-based" (if I can say that word without people throwing up ;-) )
> > approach?
>
> Maybe it should be:
>
>         Language:       English
>         Mode:           novice
>         Hostname:       debian
>
> and:
>
>         Language:       English
>         Mode:           expert
>         Country:        United States
>         Keyboard:       us
>         Network:        eth0 using DHCP
>         Hostname:       debian
>         Mirror:         http.us.debian.org

hm, how about something like:

  text explaining the default locale is normally derived from a
  language/locale combination. But it's possible to change/fill in
  the precise locale values to be used.

  Language:	English
  Country:		US
  Details

With details leading to the screen that shows everything and allows to
adjust it. That way normal users only need to bother with the language and
country. While those with non-standard setup can change things to they're
liking by going to Details.
- --
Cheers, cobaco