Re: Should we really use countries in languagechooser

Happy Holidays!

On Thu, 2003-12-25 at 09:09, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Anmar Oueja (anmar@canada.com):
>
> > Please change it as you see fit. As a matter of fact. in the
> > languagechoose.l10n I put in "choose Arabic to begin installer (Arab
> > World" in arabic of course to direct it to all Arabic speakers
> > regardless of their country of origin
>
> I'll try to make some general proposals about this. My whole feeling
> is that countries are unneeded in d-i.
>
> But I need to speak of this with Alastair.....and list.

The country information is used in two places:
(1) In selecting dialect; eg. US American vs British; Swiss German
    vs German (in principle; not done yet, I believe)
(2) To select _default_ values for other things:
	- keyboard
 	- ftp mirror
	- timezone
	others?

Perhaps one possibility is to ask the country question at a lower
priority _after_ the language question, if necessary; e.g. we might not
need to ask the 'which country' bit for many languages, and it would
simplify the language question. This approach was taken in woody, I
believe.

The default value of the country question would be 'XX' for undefined,
unless the question is answered by the user (or a GPS device, etc).

Slán agus Beannacht,
- Alastair