Re: Should we really use countries in languagechooser

Hello Christian:

I agree whole heartedly with you on this. The problem with Arabic is that 23 or more countries speak the same language yet they do need their own local.

Know what do you suggest we change the Syrai to? I think Arabic would suffice instead of mentioning any country.

Please change it as you see fit. As a matter of fact. in the languagechoose.l10n I put in "choose Arabic to begin installer (Arab World" in arabic of course to direct it to all Arabic speakers regardless of their country of origin

Anmar

Christian Perrier wrote:
#Language [(Region/Country)];locale;langcode;countrycode;langlist
# (languages marked #X need updated translations)
Arabic;ar_SY;ar;SY

Why put Syria as privileged country?

We reach there the limits of our "Language (Country)" choice.

If we don't want to hurt anybody, we should list all countries with
Arabic as official language. That would add a lot of entries.

I indeed would like to remove the reference to countries in
languagechooser.

The only point is in selecting the country part of the locale which in
fact is useless during the initial stages of debian-installer.

This really has to be discussed.