total freeze at language chooser

I've just bought a new laptop (HP Pavilion ze4540us) and am
to install sarge on it.

I've downloaded the beta-1 installer; it boots ok, but at the
language chooser screen it locks up completely. No response
to any keys whatsoever anymore. Does anyone have an idea
where I start looking for the problem?

Some research results:
  * I've tried to install woody with the old boot-floppies
    as well. Works without problems.
  * However, if I tell the old boot-floppies to use a 2.4
    kernel, I get the same effect as with the new installer:
    a total freeze at the language chooser screen.
  * Installing woody and then changing the kernel to a 2.4
    kernel works ok.

I'm trying to figure out myself what is going on, but I'd
appreciate it if someone had an idea :-)

Peter
--
Peter van Rossum <petervr@debian.org>