Re: Default bootloader

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 12:40:08AM +0100, Peter 'p2' De Schrijver wrote:
> >  - Clean dessign. While GRUB's dessign is far from perfect, it is still a
> >    very flexible one. GRUB understands filesystems and network protocols,
> >    making it able to load kernels dynamicaly from the disk or the network,
> >    without need to reinstall into the MBR with every kernel update.
> >

> The current grub has by no means a clean design. It lacks platform
> independence, correct bus abstraction layers and ROMeable code to start
> with. But it works, so it's probably not too bad to use it as the
> standard bootloader.

Well, its dessign is clean when compared to that of other bootloaders like
LILO (the latter sentence in my paragraph clarifies that). But you're right
in your point; As I said it's far from perfect. Perhaps I should have been
more specific on this.

Btw, the upcoming GRUB2 [1] (aka PUPA), which is already usable but in a very
inmature stage, pretends to address this issue.

[1] http://www.nongnu.org/pupa/
    http://packages.debian.org/grub2
--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)