Re: Default bootloader

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 12:33:06AM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Robert Millan]
> > I (as GRUB co-maintainer) have discussed with Jason the possibility
> > of GRUB being the default bootloader for i386 in Debian 3.1, and we
> > agree that GRUB is now mature enough for that.
>
> Sounds good.  I would also use grub as the default.  We do it already
> in Skolelinux.

Let's wait a while to ensure there are no objections.

When this happens, what is the component in charge for choosing the bootloader?

> GRUB need to install automatically using the grub-installer udeb.  I
> believe only bug #219833 is blocking this at the moment.
>
> I suggest that grub-installer should be co-maintained by the grub
> maintainers.  This would make it easier to make sure the d-i part is
> in sync with the grub part.  The packages might even be built from the
> same source, if you want that.  What do you think?

Sounds good. Including grub2, that makes us have 3 grub-related packages. I
think at this point we should create a mailing list in our project at Alioth
(pkg-grub) for maintaining these.

Jason, any comments?

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)