Re: debian-installer beta 1

On 19 Nov 2003 01:51:51 +0100
Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:

> Glenn McGrath <bug1@optushome.com.au> writes:

> > The reason i havent applied it is because i dont have a raid setup
> > handy to test it, i only tested it on a few loop files.
> >
> > Someone was going to test it, but i never heard back, so i also
> > question if it would get much use. If debian-installer wants to use
> > it i will make another effort at testing it.
>
> Ok, great.
>
> What exactly is the support for?

(moved from debian-devel)

The raidtools patch still applies and compiles, its at
http://people.debian.org/~bug1/busybox/raidtools.bb.patch.bz2

Most of the binaries as provided in the raidtools2 package are provided
by the patch, mkraid, raidstart, raidstop, radi0run, and some of the
fancy hotadd stuff.

All up they compile to a 20kB busybox binary.

> D-I would need something to create the config, create the metadata
> (mdcreate was it?), mdrun and mdstop. Anything else?

mkraid, raidstart, raidstop are 17kB

Creating the config is the hard part, i feel D-I really needs a
partition config that is seperate from the tools used to create the
partitions.

A frontend that allows users to specify how they want the partitions,
and then a backend that calls the apropriate tools to do the job.

Easier said than done though.

Hlenn